Podcast

Russia says new nuke pact unlikely this week


Updated: 2009-12-18 12:56
Large Medium Small

 

Get Flash Player

進入英語學習論壇下載音頻   去聽寫專區一展身手

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said yesterday that the presidents of Russia and the United States are unlikely to sign a new treaty to curb their nuclear arsenals when they meet in Copenhagen this week.

Lavrov also complained that US negotiators had slowed down the pace of work in the past two days in Geneva, hampering efforts to finalize a replacement to the successor to the 1991 Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START).

"This is unlikely to happen in Copenhagen," Lavrov said. "We still have a big workload - of a purely technical character - facing us."

Both US President Barack Obama and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev are expected to be in the Danish capital this week to attend the climate change summit, providing a potential opportunity for the leaders to sign the new Treaty.

"In the last couple of days we have noticed some slowing down in the position of US negotiators in Geneva. They explain this by the need to receive additional instructions. But our team is ready for work," said Lavrov.

"I believe that if Russian and US negotiators concentrate on implementing these remaining orders from the presidents, we will reach agreement within a pretty brief period."

START, the biggest agreed nuclear weapons cut in history was due to lapse on Dec 5 but both sides agreed it should remain in force pending agreement on a successor.

Signing of the agreement would provide further signals that previously tense relations between the United States and Russia were easing.

The START-1 treaty, signed by then US President George H W Bush and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, took nearly a decade to achieve. Under the deal, Russia more than halved its nuclear arsenal, the Foreign Ministry has said.

Over the past decade, relations between Moscow and Washington became strained over the Iraq war, NATO's eastward expansion and last year's Georgia war.

But Obama pledged to improve ties when he became president.

Last July, Obama and Medvedev outlined a framework for the new treaty, restricting deployed strategic warheads to between 1,500 and 1,675 while limiting the number of delivery platforms to between 500 and 1,100.

The United States and Russia would still have enough firepower to destroy the world several times over.

去聽寫專區一展身手

(中國日報網英語點津 Helen 編輯)

Russia says new nuke pact unlikely this week

About the broadcaster:

Russia says new nuke pact unlikely this week

Linda Kennedy is a presenter and writer. She has reported and commented extensively on BBC TV, and was a correspondent for "News at Ten" on ITV. She also wrote a column for The Scotsman newspaper.

 

主站蜘蛛池模板: AAAAA级少妇高潮大片免费看| 国产小视频免费| 久久久无码中文字幕久...| 美女被艹免费视频| 好男人www社区视频在线| 久久国产精品99久久久久久牛牛| 欧美日韩亚洲国产| 免费a级毛片18以上观看精品| 自拍另类综合欧美小说| 国产婷婷色综合av蜜臀av| 在线观看91精品国产入口| 在线免费你懂的| 久久精品亚洲日本波多野结衣| 欧美网站在线观看| 免费h视频在线观看| 美女无遮挡免费视频网站| 国产偷久久久精品专区| 精品视频在线观看你懂的一区| 国产精品麻豆免费版| 99网站在线观看| 好吊妞视频这里只有精品| 中文字幕免费在线观看| 日本人与黑人xxxxx18| 久久综合给合久久狠狠狠97色| 精品久久无码中文字幕| 国产乱人伦av在线a| 高清日本撒尿xxxx| 国产欧美一区二区精品久久久 | 天堂а√8在线最新版在线| 丫头稚嫩紧窄小缝| 攵女yin乱合集高h小丹| 久久久国产精品| 日本视频免费看| 亚洲第一页在线视频| 里漫社扶她全彩口工漫画| 国产香蕉精品视频在| 久久久xxxx| 日本卡三卡四卡免费| 久久无码人妻精品一区二区三区| 最近2019中文字幕高清字幕 | 亚洲av日韩av综合|