Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
Opinion
Home / Opinion / Op-Ed Contributors

Opportunity for Hong Kong to put its house in order

China Daily HK | Updated: 2019-08-21 11:03
Share
Share - WeChat
[Photo/VCG]

It might be too early to breathe a sigh of relief assuming that the demonstrations in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region will end soon. But there are indeed signs, suggesting that the city, plagued by two months of violence, could be on the right track to end the disturbances.

Over the past several days, the city has been spared the violence that had become a common occurrence since the middle of June. The latest public rally organized by the demonstrators on Sunday was generally peaceful, with the attendees expressing their opinions in a civilized manner. It is hoped that weeks of turbulence have finally brought home the message that violence will get them nowhere.

The newfound peace has afforded the SAR government a chance to seek an end to the current turmoil through dialogue. Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, chief executive of the HKSAR, said on Tuesday the SAR government will set up a communication platform to hold dialogue with the Hong Kong community, with the aim of helping the city move on from the present undesirable situation.

She also said there will be a fact-finding inquiry into the causes of the protests and the police response to them.

Members of the city's opposition camp should be realistic and pragmatic when putting forward their demands. Any demands or proposals raised in the process must be reasonable and fall within the bounds of law, particularly the Basic Law. Indeed, that the radicals have been insisting on unreasonable and illegal demands has been the reason the upheaval has dragged on for over two months, causing huge damage to the city.

Dialogue can help enhance mutual understanding among different elements in society. But it would be unrealistic for anyone to expect that a panacea for all of Hong Kong's deep-seated social problems can be found in one fell swoop.

In extending an olive branch, the SAR government has undoubtedly expressed its sincere desire to end the current chaotic situation in the city. But this friendly gesture should in no way be interpreted as an invitation for illegal and unreasonable demands from political radicals.

Previously, the SAR government had shunned the idea of holding dialogue with protesters. No legitimate government in the world will allow itself to be forced into holding dialogue with insurrectionists through intimidation. Should the demonstrators continue to use violence and make farfetched demands, the opportunity for dialogue will be lost.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 俄罗斯乱理伦片在线观看| 久久久久久久久蜜桃| 波多野结衣在线观看一区二区三区| 国产一区二区影院| 久久精品人人做人人爽电影蜜月| 欧美色视频日本| 免费的成人a视频在线观看| 老牛精品亚洲成av人片| 国产对白受不了了| www视频在线观看免费| 成人免费无码大片a毛片软件| 久久精品一区二区东京热| 欧美一区二区影院| 亚洲日韩欧美一区二区三区| 熟妇人妻一区二区三区四区| 免费看男人j放进女人j色多多| 老司机亚洲精品影院在线观看| 国产亚洲美女精品久久久久| 黄色网址在线免费| 国产精品99久久久久久人| 51久久夜色精品国产| 国内一级毛片成人七仙女| a级成人免费毛片完整版| 日本按摩高潮a级中文片| 亚洲avav天堂av在线网爱情| 欧美国产在线视频| 亚洲欧美日韩一区在线观看| 中国女人内谢69xxx| 波多野结衣亚洲一区| 再灬再灬再灬深一点舒服| 美国式的禁忌80版| 四虎影院成人在线观看俺也去色官网| 黄网站欧美内射| 国产探花在线观看| 久久精品国产四虎| 国产欧美日韩精品第一区| 非洲黑人最猛性xxxx_欧美| 国产精品国产精品国产专区不卡 | 一本之道在线视频| 成年女人永久免费看片| 中文字幕久久久久久久系列|