Global EditionASIA 中文雙語(yǔ)Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Africa

African governments take action as virus spreads across continent

By Otiato Opali | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2020-03-16 22:47
Share
Share - WeChat
A fan wears a face mask during a Super Rugby match between the Sharks and the Stormers as it was announced that Super Rugby will be put on hold after this weekend's matches over the coronavirus outbreak in Durban, South Africa, March 14, 2020. [Photo/Agencies]

African governments swing into action as the coronavirus spreads further across continent

As novel coronavirus continues to spread across the world, Africa remains the least affected continent, with the Africa Center for Disease Control saying the total figure of those infected on the continent is 354, with Egypt having the highest cases at 126, followed by South Africa with 61.

As the number of cases increases, African governments have started taking measures aimed at preventing the spread of the virus within their countries.
Speaking at his Harambee House office on Sunday, Uhuru Kenyatta, Kenya's president, suspended the entry of all travelers from coronavirus-affected countries while confirming that two more cases of the virus had been confirmed.

"Today, we have received confirmation of two more cases of the coronavirus.

The two have tested positive as a result of coming into contact with the first patient. Our health officials have already moved them into the Kenyatta National Hospital isolation facility," Kenyatta said. "We are now suspending travel for all persons coming into Kenya from any country with reported coronavirus cases.

He added that only Kenyan citizens and foreigners with valid residence permits will be allowed to come in, provided they proceed to self-quarantine or to a government- designated quarantine facility.

Cyril Ramaphosa, South Africa's president, also made a similar announcement in a statement released on Sunday. While declaring a national state of disaster, Ramaphosa said that his government has decided to take urgent and drastic measures to manage the disease, protect the people and reduce the impact of the virus on the economy.

"We are imposing a travel ban on foreign nationals from high-risk countries, such as Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Germany, the United States, the United Kingdom and China, as from March 18, 2020," Ramaphosa said. "We have cancelled visas to visitors from those countries from today and previously granted visas are hereby revoked."

In Ghana, a statement released by the country's Ministry of Information on Sunday also introduced travel restrictions.

"Any traveler, except for Ghanaian citizens and persons with residence permits, who, within the last 14 days, has been to a country that recorded at least 200 cases of Covid-19, will not be admitted into the Ghanaian jurisdiction," Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, Ghana's Minister of Information, said in the statement.

As African governments step up measures to stop the virus, Senegal and Kenya announced school closures, the Democratic Republic of Congo has imposed quarantine measures on travelers from Italy, France, China and Germany and Rwanda, Uganda and Mali have imposed similar quarantine measures for European travelers.

According to the Africa-CDC, confirmed cases in Africa are as follows; Egypt 126, South Africa 61, Algeria 54, Morocco 28, Senegal 24, Tunisia 20, Ghana 6, Rwanda 5, Cameroon, Ethiopia and Cote d'Ivoire 4, Kenya 3, Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo and Namibia 2, while Sudan, Central Africa Republic, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guinea, Mauritania, Swaziland and Togo all have one case each.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 波多野结衣中文字幕一区二区三区 | 亚洲明星合成图综合区在线| 综合久久给合久久狠狠狠97色| 日韩亚洲欧美综合| 亚洲欧美国产精品专区久久 | 亚洲乱妇老熟女爽到高潮的片| 美女被吸乳羞羞动漫| 国产成人涩涩涩视频在线观看免费| 91亚洲精品第一综合不卡播放| 女人18一级毛片免费观看| 中文字幕.com| 日本xxxxx19| 乱了嗯祖宗啊用力| 男女啪啪免费体验区| 国产97在线视频| 野花香高清在线观看视频播放免费| 国产男女猛烈无遮挡免费视频网站 | 91免费看国产| 天天做天天爱天天综合网| 一级**毛片毛片毛片毛片在线看| 无码专区狠狠躁躁天天躁| 久久国产精品一国产精品| 校园亚洲春色另类小说合集| 亚洲国产精品毛片AV不卡在线| 永久免费AV无码网站在线观看| 免费a级毛片无码| 精品一区二区三区四区五区| 医生女同护士三女| 精品长泽梓在线播放视频| 国产a久久精品一区二区三区| 91中文字幕在线| 天天做天天爱天天综合网 | 免费视频你懂的| 精品无码久久久久久久久| 国产欧美精品一区二区三区四区 | 天天操天天射天天色| zoosk00lvideos性印度| 少妇性饥渴无码A区免费| 久久青青成人亚洲精品| 欧美va亚洲va在线观看蝴蝶网| 亚洲国产AV一区二区三区四区|