Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
Business
Home / Business / Companies

Chocolate firms remain bullish despite slump in sales

By Zhu Wenqian | China Daily | Updated: 2020-03-25 10:09
Share
Share - WeChat
Shoppers take snapshots of Ferrero Rocher chocolates at a supermarket in Fuzhou, Fujian province. [Photo by Chen Hao/For China Daily]

Sales in the chocolate and confectionery industry declined during the Spring Festival holiday and Valentine's Day this year because of the global outbreak of COVID-19, but major industry players believe the domestic consumption market will regain its old vigor after the outbreak is brought under control.

With lower traffic in brick-and-mortar stores and challenges in logistics and the transportation of goods, the epidemic in China has weighed on chocolate sales.

Italian chocolate and confectionery manufacturer Ferrero, which has the second-largest market share in China after Dove chocolate, said its factory in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, resumed production on March 16.

"No matter what the result and the consumptions of this year will be, Ferrero has a long-term vision and ambition in China, and the company will be able to keep playing its leading role in the market," said Ferrero China general manager Mauro De Felip.

"We expect China's consumption demand to recover rapidly once the epidemic has been dealt with. Meantime, several new opportunities have emerged, such as the acceleration of omni-channel transformation and e-commerce, which are expected to generate new engagement with consumers," De Felip said.

"Now, our priority is contributing to restore confidence, safety and normality to the overall environment. Thanks to our robust global supply chain processes, we do not foresee strong economic repercussions at the moment, but only a geographically limited impact," he said.

Ferrero said it believes China's sound and sustainable economic development in the long run will remain unchanged, and the country's economy has shown strong resilience.

During the past month, Ferrero said it witnessed a strong pickup of its e-commerce sales, which have been one of the major pillars for the company's growth.

Last year, it formed strategic partnerships with e-commerce giants Alibaba Group and JD, and it will further strengthen cooperation with more e-commerce platforms this year to expand its distribution channels.

Ferrero's European plants are operating with additional infection prevention measures. According to the latest provisions released by the Italian government, the company is allowed to transport its goods and maintain operations of its production chain.

Separately, Ishiya Company, a confectioner in Sapporo, Japan, which produces and sells Shiroi Koibito chocolate cookies, has shut down its factory for a month since Feb 20. The product had been popular among Chinese consumers.

The spread of the epidemic in Japan and a drop in Chinese visitors resulted in sluggish sales of the product. The confectioner said with lower purchases by tourists, the halt in production would not lead to insufficient supplies.

Daily Dark Chocolate, a startup brand in China, said as long as the disease ends in the summer, it would have a limited impact on the company this year, it said.

The chocolate maker said customer flows in its physical stores during the epidemic were only 10 percent of the normal amount. Offline sales dropped to about 60 percent compared with its usual level.

The chocolate industry in China experienced declines in 2015 and 2016, and it started to adjust and recover since 2017.

By 2022, sales revenue of the sector in China is expected to reach 22.35 billion yuan ($3.2 billion) from 20.25 billion yuan in 2018, with a compound annual growth rate of 2.5 percent, according to consultancy Frost & Sullivan.

"Chocolate brands with high cocoa content will increasingly cater to the demand of Chinese consumers who pursue a healthy lifestyle. Hand-made, giftset, and high-end chocolate will be the focus of the industry's future growth," said Frost & Sullivan China president Neil Wang.

Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
CLOSE
 
主站蜘蛛池模板: 成人三级精品视频在线观看| 两个小姨子在线播放| 香蕉一区二区三区观| 日韩电影免费在线| 亚洲精品视频网| 精品无人区麻豆乱码1区2区| 国产视频xxxx| 一本一本久久a久久精品综合麻豆| 日韩不卡免费视频| 人禽伦免费交视频播放| 91黑丝国产线观看免费| 国产综合欧美日韩视频一区| 久久国产精品-国产精品| 秋霞鲁丝片无码av| 国产激情一区二区三区四区| 下樱桃视频入口在线观看| 香蕉久久人人爽人人爽人人片av | 极品丝袜乱系列全集| 和阿同居的日子hd中字| 风间由美juy135在线观看| 国产精品99久久久久久宅男| 一道本不卡免费视频| 欧美人与性动交α欧美精品图片| 四只虎免费永久观看| 手机在线视频你懂的| 性盈盈影院免费视频观看在线一区| 亚洲伊人久久大香线蕉啊| 精品无人乱码一区二区三区 | 久久亚洲欧美日本精品| 最近中文字幕高清免费大全8| 亚洲免费在线观看视频| 欧美性猛交xxxx乱大交蜜桃| 亚洲欧美中文日韩二区一区| 正在播放高级会所丰满女技师| 亚洲黄在线观看| 老少交欧美另类| 国产精品v片在线观看不卡| gogo全球大胆专业女高清视频| 年轻人免费看电影网站| 中文字幕在线有码高清视频| 暖暖免费观看日本版|