Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Americas

US stocks open lower on China's GDP announcement

By SCOTT REEVES in New York | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2020-05-23 05:52
Share
Share - WeChat

US stocks opened lower Friday following China's announcement that it wouldn't set a GDP growth target for the year following the coronavirus pandemic.

The announcement cast doubt about global growth.

The three major US indexes have gained about 3 percent this week, but a sharp downturn could erase most or all the gains.

Some traders typically sell prior to a three-day weekend to avoid the shock of unexpected bad news, driving the market down. But others see lower prices as a buying opportunity.

In early trading Friday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average dipped 76.43 points, or 0.32 percent, to 24,397.69. The SP& 500 slid 0.30 percent. The Nasdaq Composite slipped 0.l5 percent.

On Thursday, the Dow fell 101.78 points, or 0.41 percent, and closed at 24,474.12. The S&P 500 lost 0.78 percent. The Nasdaq Composite slid 0.97 percent.

In early trading Friday, West Texas Intermediate crude, the gauge for US prices, retreated 2.74 percent to $32.97 a barrel. Brent crude, the worldwide benchmark, fell 2.88 percent to $35.02 a barrel.

The price of oil is an indicator of future economic activity. Rising prices suggest traders see strong demand ahead. US oil futures briefly turned negative during the worst of the coronavirus outbreak as demand for fuel collapsed and storage facilities filled up.

Apple sold 3.9 million iPhones in China last month – a 160 percent increase from March during the coronavirus outbreak, CINNO Research reported.

Apple closed stores during the outbreak to curb the spread of COVID-19, but reopened by mid-March. Sales rebounded and took off in April, thanks in part to a cheaper iPhone.

In April, total smartphone shipments in China increased about 94 percent compared with March and totaled 40.8 million, China Academy of Information and Communications Technology, a state-run research organization, reported.

In early trading, Apple's shares slipped 0.26 percent.

IBM said it plans to cut an unspecified number of jobs, the first major workforce reduction under new CEO Arvind Krishna.

The company seeks to become more agile in a competitive market, but the cut play out against the economic slowdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic that has forced many to postpone new investments.

"IBM's work in a highly competitive marketplace requires flexibility to constantly remix high-value skills, and our workforce decisions are made in the long-term interest of the business," IBM said in a statement.

In early trading, IBM's shares dipped 0.52 percent.

Hewlett Packard Enterprise also announced a plan to slash expenses, including salary cuts, unpaid leave and a hiring freeze.

The company reported a loss of $821 million on revenue of $6.01 billion, a 16 percent drop from sales of $7.15 billion a year ago.

"The global economic lockdowns since February significantly impacted our fiscal second quarter financial performance," CEO Antonio Neri said in a statement. "We excited Q2 with $1.5 billion in orders across the portfolio, representing two times the average historical backlog."

In early trading, Hewlett Packard's stock fell 8.42 percent.

Palo Alto Networks, a cyber-security company, said fiscal third-quarter revenue increased 20 percent year-over-year to $869.4 million. But the company reported a net loss of $74.8 million compared with a loss of $20.2 million for the same period a year ago.

"The world will likely be in a state of transition over the next 12 to 18 months due to the COVID-19 pandemic," CEO Nikesh Arora said in a statement.

"We believe this will prompt key trends to accelerate, including remote working models, shit to the cloud, and focus on automation to drive effective cyber-security outcomes. Palo alto Networks is well positioned to leverage the acceleration of these trends."

In early trading, the company's shares gained 4.07 percent.

Jeff Gennette, Macy's CEO, said the recent cascade of bankruptcies puts about $10 billion in retail sales up for grabs.

"We'll look at that very carefully depending on the brand and with the location," CNBC reported.

He offered no details, but said Macy's may increase the number of categories in its stores.

Neiman Marcus, J.C. Penney and Stage Stores have filed for bankruptcy protection.

Penney plans to close about 240 stores, or about 30 percent of its locations. Nordstrom plans to shut 16 stores permanently. Pier 1 Imports said it plans to liquidate after it couldn't find a buyer.

In early trading, Macy's stock gained 1.29 percent.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 2021国产麻豆剧传媒剧情最新| 久久精品久久精品| 秋霞电影网一区二区三区| 国产交换配乱吟播放免费| jizz大全欧美| 国产麻豆剧果冻传媒免精品费网站 | 香蕉国产综合久久猫咪| 天天操天天干天搞天天射| 下面一进一出好爽视频| 国产成人精品免费视频动漫| 在线观看亚洲一区| 一卡2卡3卡4卡免费高清| 撞击着云韵的肉臀| 久久午夜福利电影| 日韩精品极品视频在线观看免费| 亚洲午夜国产精品| 欧美日韩精品一区二区在线播放| 亚洲黄色三级网站| 男女性爽大片视频男女生活| 刘敏涛三级无删减版在线观看| 美女露100%胸无遮挡免费观看| 国产亚洲人成在线影院| 992tv在线视频| 国产校园另类小说区| 青娱乐欧美视频| 国产精品黄大片观看| 97在线视频精品| 在线观看亚洲人成网站| 9久久免费国产精品特黄| 奇米影视中文字幕| www320999com| 女同一区二区在线观看| 一区二区乱子伦在线播放| 性xxxx黑人与亚洲| 两根一进一出啊灌满了视频 | 亚洲va久久久噜噜噜久久天堂| 欧美无遮挡国产欧美另类| 亚洲欧美成人一区二区三区| 毛片免费在线观看| 亚洲线精品一区二区三区影音先锋| 狠色狠色狠狠色综合久久|