Global EditionASIA 中文雙語(yǔ)Fran?ais
Sports
Home / Sports / F1

Hamilton still steering F1's narrative

China Daily | Updated: 2020-07-02 09:38
Share
Share - WeChat
Lewis Hamilton, pictured at Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit in March, will begin his quest for a record-equaling seventh F1 drivers' title when the season gets underway in Austria this weekend. [Photo/Agencies]

Record-chasing world champion remains the man to beat as delayed season revs up again following shutdown

Seven months after the drivers last competed in earnest, the Formula One circus will push a post-lockdown reset button to open the 2020 season in Austria on Sunday.

The event at Spielberg is being held on its original calendar date, but is not the once-anticipated 11th round of the championship, but the first-a season-opener delayed by the coronavirus pandemic.

More than three months after the Australian Grand Prix was abandoned on the eve of opening practice in Melbourne, the race in the Styrian Alps will be run behind closed doors, without fans, sponsors' agents and guests, and only a handful of reporters restricted to the media center.

The usual high-rise motorhomes will be replaced by tents and awnings while the teams, cut to 80 members and all in protective gear, will operate in sanitized "bubbles within bubbles" in a paddock bereft of human contact and the usual swell of rumor and speculation.

For all involved, who are tested four days before the event and five days later, it will be an unprecedented and unique experience.

Yet, despite all the change and the surreal atmosphere, it is expected that the action will likely deliver the same story.

Lewis Hamilton, powered by the all-conquering Mercedes, goes in search of a seventh drivers' title to equal the record of Michael Schumacher.

"It has been unbearable-I have missed the racing and the competition so much, so it will be great to be back," said Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff.

Even during lockdown, drivers moves for next year took place. Ferrari announced the release of four-time champion Sebastian Vettel, who will be succeeded by Carlos Sainz of McLaren, while Daniel Ricciardo signed to leave Renault and replaced Spaniard Sainz at the cash-starved outfit so badly hit by the pandemic.

On the move

Those 2021 moves will not affect this year's lineups, but may affect relationships between departing drivers and teams anxious not to allow unique operational and performance intelligence to leave with them.

If anywhere, this is likely to have most effect at Ferrari as the Italian team strives to avoid open conflict between rising star Charles Leclerc and Vettel, who is a free agent and a potential target for not only Renault but also Mercedes.

The pair, who were intense rivals last year, tested in Italy last week ahead of the opening "double-header", with two successive races at Austria's Red Bull Ring circuit before a third race in Hungary.

"I have no experience of heading back to the same track and having a second race, but I've been around for a while," said Vettel.

"I guess the level of perfection will be higher the second weekend-the level of errors will be even smaller.

"It will be a chance to review strategy just seven days afterwards so that's a first and let's see how we tackle that challenge."

Orange aid

The opening three grands prix form part of an intensive spell of eight European races in 10 weeks, which may become nine in 11 if a round at Mugello, in Italy, is added. Vettel added that he "can't imagine what it will be like to race without any fans", especially at the sweeping circuit where Max Verstappen was roared to victory by a huge orange wave of Dutch supporters last year.

Verstappen and Red Bull are expected to challenge Mercedes, with Ferrari and Racing Point, newly dubbed "the pink Mercedes" team after copying the champion's cars, in close pursuit in the opening events where it will be intriguing to see if Hamilton's focus has been affected by his active and vocal support for the current anti-racism protests.

Last week, just days after launching the Hamilton Commission to boost diversity in motor sports, the Briton slammed remarks made about the racism issue by former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone as "ignorant and uneducated" before calling for the restoration of a grand prix in Africa.

"It's a really weird time in the world and the biggest challenge in my mind is not about the championship necessarily," he said. "It's not a normal year."

Agence France-Presse

Most Popular

Highlights

What's Hot
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 色婷婷久久综合中文网站| 免费一级成人毛片| 91麻豆精品福利在线观看| 案件小说2阿龟婚俗验身| 人妻av无码一区二区三区| 老司机精品久久| 国内精品久久久久久无码不卡| 三级理论中文字幕在线播放| 日本香蕉一区二区三区| 亚洲人成色7777在线观看不卡 | 车上做好紧我太爽了再快点| 国产真实迷j在线播放| 91久久另类重口变态| 天堂资源在线中文| 久久综合给合综合久久| 福利午夜国产网站在线不卡| 国产一区二区三区不卡在线观看| 99久热re在线精品视频| 尤物视频在线看| 丰满人妻熟妇乱又仑精品| 欧美精品亚洲精品日韩专区va| 免费看男女下面日出水视频| 国产69精品久久久久9999apgf | 欧美丰满白嫩bbwbbw| 国产精品自在线观看剧情| 99精品视频在线观看免费播放 | 欧美成人一区二区三区在线视频 | 高h视频免费观看| 国产熟睡乱子伦视频| 1000部精品久久久久久久久| 放荡的女老板bd中文字幕| 久久这里只有精品66re99| 欧美一级黄色影院| 免费观看无遮挡www的视频| 午夜小视频免费| 久久久无码一区二区三区| 最近中文字幕最新在线视频| 亚洲国产欧美日韩精品一区二区三区| 综合色在线观看| 国产精品亚洲二区在线| 91国内揄拍国内精品对白|