Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Africa

Africa on alert of 2nd wave as COVID-19 cases top 2 million

Xinhua | Updated: 2020-11-19 17:00
Share
Share - WeChat
Health workers collect swab samples during free mass testing for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Kibera slums of Nairobi, Kenya, Oct 17, 2020. [Photo/Agencies]

NAIROBI - African countries are on high alert of a second wave of COVID-19 outbreak as the number of confirmed cases in the continent hit 2 million on Thursday.

Africa reported its first 1 million COVID-19 cases on August 7 after it reported the first case on Feb 14 in Egypt. The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Africa reached 2,013,388 with a death toll of 48,408 on Thursday, according to the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC).

The WHO says the testing level in Africa is still very low compared to other regions.

"Most African countries are focused on testing travellers, patients or contacts, and we estimate that a significant number of cases are still missed," says WHO's regional director for Africa Matshidiso Moeti in late October.

The most COVID-19 affected African countries in terms of the number of positive cases include South Africa, Morocco, Egypt and Ethiopia, figures from the Africa CDC show.

The southern Africa region is the most COVID-19 affected region both in terms of the number of confirmed positive cases as well as the number of deaths, followed by the northern Africa region, according to the Africa CDC.

One of the worst-hit country at present is Morocco, which reported 6,195 cases on Nov 12, the highest daily spike since the start of the outbreak on March 2 in the country.

"None of us want a return to total lockdown, but it remains an option if the epidemiological situation becomes uncontrollable," said Moroccan Prime Minister Saad Eddine El Othmani in early November.

John Nkengasong, director of the Africa CDC, plans to visit Kenya and the Democratic Republic of Congo in response to an increase in COVID-19 infections.

Nkengasong says overall, Africa recorded an 8 percent rise in new coronavirus cases in the past month.

"We cannot relent on our efforts to bend the curve. The virus tends to give you a sign that you are winning and it comes back more severely. We are strongly advocating for the control measures including the wearing of masks which we appeal to countries to subsidize masks," Nkengasong said.

In Africa and throughout much of the world, the increase in new COVID-19 infections coincided with the easing of restrictions and other measures put in place earlier this year to help stem the spread of the coronavirus. Many governments cited the need to jump-start their economies as justification for relaxing COVID-19 restrictions.

"The biggest fear for the government today is the laisser-faire with which people are taking the preventive measures because we have observed that nobody wears the mask anymore, even less wash their hands," said Manaouda Malachie, Cameroon's Minister of Health, adding that to effectively prevent a second wave, people must return to respecting social distancing measures.

The reopening of the country is already in full swing and citizens are back to their pre-COVID lifestyles hence complicating efforts to lockdown sections of the economy, said Githinji Gitahi, the CEO of Nairobi-based AMREF Health Africa.

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta sounded alarm over the sudden increase in COVID-19 infections and deaths earlier this month, adding that the government would not hesitate to impose stringent measures and avert a looming implosion.

Among measures Kenyatta spelled out to curb the spread of coronavirus included extending night curfew hours, reducing operating hours for bars and restaurants, promoting remote work for public servants aged 58 years and above alongside the formation of a special unit to enforce the regulations.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa urged citizens to be responsible in adhering to social distance measures in an effort to avoid or delay the second wave.

"Since the first of October, we've seen a steady rise overall in the number of cases. The Free State haven't finished their first waves yet. In the Western and Eastern Cape, we are still seeing increases in the number of cases but the rest of the country has pretty low transmission," said Chairperson of the COVID-19 ministerial advisory committee Salim Abdool Karim, adding that the second wave could be avoided if people adhere to stringent measures.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 人妻少妇精品专区性色AV| 欧美另类黑人巨大videos| 精品人妻av无码一区二区三区 | 欧美精品九九99久久在免费线| 国产成人精品综合在线观看| 一本大道香蕉大vr在线吗视频| 欧美性狂猛xxxxxbbbbb| 国产一区二区三区久久精品| 99久热re在线精品996热视频| 日韩欧美亚洲一区二区综合| 免费一级毛片一级毛片aa| 国产4tube在线播放| 妖精的尾巴ova| 亚欧色一区w666天堂| 精品久久久久久国产牛牛app| 国产乱子精品免费视观看片| 91成人高清在线播放| 我要看黄色一级毛片| 国产成人无码aa精品一区| 午夜精品久久久久久| 69视频在线观看高清免费| 护士系列sdde221取精| 亚洲嫩草影院在线观看| 美女网站免费福利视频| 国产精品久久久久无码av| 七次郎在线视频观看精品| 杨乃武与小白菜港版在线| 体育生开房互操| 英国性经典xxxx| 国产精品亚洲综合一区在线观看 | a级毛片高清免费视频| 日韩大片观看网址| 亚洲人成色77777| 男人肌肌捅女人肌肌视频| 国产在线h视频| 91精品久久久久久久久久| 天天摸天天做天天爽天天弄| 久久久久久久久久久久福利| 欧美怡红院免费的全部视频| 亚洲熟妇丰满多毛XXXX| 精品国产人成亚洲区|