Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
China
Home / China / HK Macao

HK media tycoon Jimmy Lai jailed for 13 months

By CHEN SHUMAN in Hong Kong | China Daily | Updated: 2021-12-14 10:07
Share
Share - WeChat
Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai (2nd left) arrives at the Court of Final Appeal in Hong Kong on Dec 31, 2020. [PARKER ZHENG/CHINA DAILY]

Hong Kong's District Court sentenced media tycoon Jimmy Lai Chee-ying to 13 months in prison on Monday for inciting others to participate in an unauthorized assembly last year.

Lai was one of eight people sentenced on Monday for their roles at an unauthorized assembly in June last year in Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island.

Judge Amanda Jane Woodcock ruled that deterrent sentences were necessary since the defendants ignored the serious risk of the COVID-19 pandemic to public health, and some committed the offenses while on bail.

Woodcock said the defendants "wrongly and arrogantly "thought that the assembly was more important than protecting public health, adding that they "belittled" a "genuine" public health crisis.

The pandemic posed a threat to public safety, which was an important consideration by the police in banning the assembly, Woodcock said, noting that since the beginning of last year, Hong Kong had experienced four waves of the pandemic.

She said there had also been a possible risk of violence during the assembly, given that social unrest had not entirely disappeared at that time.

The 13-month sentence will run concurrently with Lai's previous sentences. He is serving a 20-month sentence in Stanley Prison for participating in three illegal assemblies in 2019.

Seven other defendants were also sentenced to jail terms ranging from four months and two weeks to 14 months for taking part in the same assembly.

Activist Chow Hang-tung was sentenced to 12 months and Gwyneth Ho Kwai-lam to six months.

The court convicted Lai and Chow on Thursday for incitement by knowingly taking part in an unauthorized assembly at Victoria Park on June 4 last year, while Chow and Ho were also found guilty of knowingly participating in the same assembly.

Among the remaining five, who pleaded guilty on Nov 1, former lawmaker Lee Cheuk-yan was sentenced to 14 months, Richard Tsoi Yiu-cheong to 12 months, Leung Kam-wai and Leung Yiu-chung to nine months, and former Democratic Party chairman Wu Chi-wai to four and half months.

The case also involves another 18 people, including former lawmaker Albert Ho Chun-yan and activist Joshua Wong Chi-fung. Twenty-four people have been sentenced so far.

The remaining two defendants, Nathan Law Kwun-chung and Sunny Cheung Kwan-yang, fled the city before the trial. The court has issued arrest warrants for them.

Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
 
主站蜘蛛池模板: らだ天堂√在线中文www| 女人让男人桶30分钟在线视频| 亚洲精品在线电影| 1024手机看片基地| 女人是男人的未来1分29分| 久久久久成人片免费观看蜜芽| 模特侨依琳大尺度流出| 亚洲精品色午夜无码专区日韩| 91九色精品国产免费| 快穿之肉玩具系统| 亚洲大成色www永久网址| 窝窝视频成人影院午夜在线| 国产一区二三区| 668溜溜吧成人影院| 无限韩国视频免费播放| 亚洲第一区精品观看| 香焦视频在线观看黄| 国产精品无码专区在线播放| 中文字幕亚洲一区二区va在线| 欧美老熟妇乱大交XXXXX| 全免费A级毛片免费看网站| 老色鬼久久亚洲av综合| 国产伦精品一区二区免费| 欧美波霸影院在线观看| 天天干天天干天天插| 久久综合九色综合网站| 男女啪啪激烈高潮喷出GIF免费| 国产手机在线αⅴ片无码观看| 91丨九色丨首页在线观看| 日本乱偷互换人妻中文字幕| 亚州av综合色区无码一区| 男插女下体视频| 国产婷婷成人久久av免费高清 | 日本片免费观看一区二区| 伊人久久大香线蕉亚洲| 韩国理论妈妈的朋友| 国邦征服雪婷第二篇| 久久久久人妻一区精品色| 最近中文字幕电影大全免费版 | 免费女人18毛片a级毛片视频| 鲁啊鲁啊鲁在线视频播放|