Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
China
Home / China / Military

US military presence near China documented

Beijing-based think tank releases report describing activities targeting country

By ZHAO LEI | China Daily | Updated: 2025-03-26 09:04
Share
Share - WeChat
This photo taken on May 16, 2024 shows a view at dusk in the South China Sea. [Photo/Xinhua]

The United States maintained an active military presence in the South China Sea and frequently carried out provocative activities near China throughout last year, according to a new report.

"In 2024, the US military intensified its military deterrence against China by maintaining high-intensity operations in the South China Sea and surrounding areas, including close-in reconnaissance, transits through the Taiwan Strait, forward deployment, strategic patrols, combat exercises and battlefield preparations. Specifically, it conducted approximately 1,000 sorties of close-in aerial reconnaissance using large aircraft, while ocean surveillance and survey ships logged 706 ship-days of operations — a significant increase compared to 2023," according to the report, which was released on Monday by the Beijing-based think tank South China Sea Strategic Situation Probing Initiative and focused on US military activities in the South China Sea in 2024.

The report says that the US Navy deployed its carrier strike groups to the South China Sea eight times last year. The deployments were apparently meant to promote the US military's presence in the region.

In addition, at least 10 attack submarines, two cruise missile submarines and one ballistic missile submarine, all of which are nuclear-powered, were found operating in the South China Sea and adjacent waters throughout the year, signaling the US military's clear intent to sow deterrence and intimidation, the report says.

Meanwhile, the frequency of bomber incursions into the South China Sea increased significantly, with crews conducting frequent drills on "north-south coordinated maneuvers" and "distributed combat operations", according to the document.

The report notes that since 2009, the US military has continuously escalated the frequency and intensity of its China-targeted activities in the South China Sea.

Though the Red Sea crisis and other regional developments such as the Russia-Ukraine and Israel-Palestine conflicts have diverted the US' naval and air forces, the US still keeps a high-intensity military presence in the South China Sea and adjacent areas, it adds.

The report also points out that in 2024, apart from bomber operations and marine surveillance/survey ship deployments, the number and frequency of US military hardware operating in the South China Sea showed limited growth and had neared their operational ceilings.

"The US extensively strengthened its exercises and strategic and tactical deployments targeting the South China Sea and Taiwan Strait. Such efforts were based on its continued deployment of forces on the Philippines, which it regards as a major pivot," it says.

The report stresses that during peacetime, a country conducting thousands of annual close-in reconnaissance sorties and hundreds of targeted exercises in another nation's adjacent waters clearly violates the principles of the United Nations Charter, the Five Principles of Peaceful Coexistence and the "peaceful use of oceans" provisions under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.

In conclusion, it says that the Trump administration is pursuing a global strategic retrenchment, yet it will not alter the US' strategic community's consensus that the Indo-Pacific remains the top priority for US military efforts and that China is its most significant strategic competitor.

However, even if the Red Sea crisis subsides or a Russia-Ukraine ceasefire is achieved, the number of naval and air assets the US can redeploy to the Indo-Pacific will remain constrained, the report says. This is because as much as 60 to 70 percent of US conventional naval and air forces available for overseas deployment are already stationed in the Western Pacific, and the scale of further enhancement will be very limited.

Consequently, the US military is very likely to use more unmanned platforms and autonomous weapons systems in the South China Sea and adjacent areas in the future to meet the additional needs of forces, according to the report.

Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
 
主站蜘蛛池模板: 新婚娇妻1一29芷姗txt下载| 波多野结衣中文字幕在线视频| 国产成人综合久久精品亚洲| 97热久久免费频精品99| 性欧美黑人巨大videos| 久久久久免费看黄a级试看| 最近免费韩国电影hd免费观看 | 国产精品天干天干| a毛片在线看片免费| 少妇人妻偷人精品视频| 中文字幕久久久| 日批免费观看视频| 久久国产精品免费一区二区三区| 最近中文字幕在线中文视频| 国产精品情侣呻吟对白视频| sao货水真多好浪好紧视频| 成人免费观看网站| 中文精品字幕电影在线播放视频| 欧美精品久久一区二区三区| 伊人热人久久中文字幕| 精品国产三级a∨在线欧美| 国产50部艳色禁片无码| 草莓视频丝瓜视频-丝瓜视18岁苹果免费网| 国产成人综合久久精品免费| h无遮挡男女激烈动态图| 国产精品美女一区二区| 91精品国产亚洲爽啪在线观看| 大乳丰满人妻中文字幕日本| japanese日本护士xxxx18一19| 巨大黑人极品videos精品| 中文字幕一二三区| 扒开老师挠尿口到崩溃刑罚| 久久久久久久久久国产精品免费| 日本护士激情xxxx| 久久国产精品一国产精品| 日韩不卡视频在线观看| 久久精品国产一区二区三区| 日韩精品一区二区三区在线观看| 久草福利资源网站免费| 日韩精品无码一本二本三本色| 久久综合色88|