Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
World
Home / World / Europe

Tariffs put economy 'in new era' says Starmer

By Julian Shea in London | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2025-04-03 22:00
Share
Share - WeChat

United Kingdom Prime Minister Keir Starmer said the world is "entering a new era" in global trade, "just as with defense and security", following the announcement of the United States' new tariffs on imports.

Compared to other countries, the UK escaped relatively lightly from Wednesday's announcement, with its goods being subjected to 10 percent tariffs, as opposed to 20 percent for items imported from the European Union, 24 percent for Japan, and with tariffs on goods from China now reaching 54 percent, but he said there will still be a major economic impact.

US President Donald Trump, Starmer told a meeting of business leaders at his Downing Street office on Thursday, had "acted for his country, and that is his mandate. Today, I will act in Britain's interests with mine".

"Decisions we take in coming days and weeks will be guided only by our national interest, in the interests of our economy, in the interests of businesses around this table, in the interests of putting money in the pockets of working people," he continued. "Nothing else will guide me, that is my focus."

Last year, the UK sent exports worth almost 60 billion pounds ($79 billion) to the US and Starmer had held out hope that the country might be given a trade deal that Trump has talked about several times in the past but that has never come to pass.

He said he was still hopeful that a deal might be agreed, but in the meantime "nothing was off the table" when it came to how the UK might respond.

"Clearly, there will be an economic impact from the decisions the US has taken, both here and globally," he said. "I want to be crystal clear – we are prepared … indeed, one of the great strengths of this nation is our ability to keep a cool head."

When asked by the BBC if a trade deal had been agreed but was still awaiting presidential approval, Business Secretary Jonathan Reynolds said: "That is not an inaccurate reflection."

A Downing Street insider added: "We don't want any tariffs at all, but a lower levy than others vindicates our approach."

In another interview, Reynolds told Sky News the UK "will take any action we need" to in response to Washington's warning to other countries not to retaliate.

"Whilst we have a chance of making the relationship between the UK and US even stronger than it is, the message I get very strongly from businesses is 'remain at the table, don't overreact, stick with the calm-headed approach the government has had to date', and we're going to do that," he added.

Most Viewed in 24 Hours
Top
BACK TO THE TOP
English
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
主站蜘蛛池模板: 午夜一级免费视频| 思思久久99热只有频精品66| 久久99精品久久久久久国产| 国产精品无圣光一区二区| 成人免费网站视频| 女人让男人桶app免费大全| 在厨房里被挺进在线观看| 日韩欧美亚洲中字幕在线播放 | 看亚洲a级一级毛片| 欧美国产综合视频| 无遮挡边吃摸边吃奶边做| 女人洗澡一级毛片一级毛片| 国产精品日本一区二区不卡视频| 国产乱人伦真实精品视频| 伊人久久国产精品| 久久综合给合久久狠狠狠97色| 三级黄色小视频| 2016天天干| 美女把腿扒开让男人桶爽了 | 精品国产一区二区三区久久狼 | 国产亚洲av综合人人澡精品| 人人妻人人澡人人爽人人精品| 久久精品无码一区二区www| 一区国严二区亚洲三区| 国产福利在线观看你懂的| 男女一进一出抽搐免费视频| 日韩毛片免费看| 在线免费视频一区| 国产亚洲一区二区手机在线观看 | 亚洲国产婷婷六月丁香| 中文字幕乱码无码人妻系列蜜桃| 4虎2022年最新| 精品亚洲一区二区| 日韩人妻无码精品无码中文字幕 | 在线观看国产情趣免费视频| 国产三级在线观看完整版| 亚洲国产欧美国产综合一区 | 日本免费人成黄页网观看视频| 国产精品高清久久久久久久| 厨房掀起馊子裙子挺进去视频| 九九在线中文字幕无码|