.contact us |.about us
News > International News ... ...
Search:
    Advertisement
$25 million reward for al-Qaeda figure
( 2003-10-30 15:35) (MSNBC)

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, believed by U.S. officials to be the leading al-Qaeda figure operating inside Iraq, has quietly joined the exclusive list of terrorists who has a $25 million reward on his head. He joins only Saddam Hussein, Osama bin Laden and bin Laden’s two deputies, Ayman al Zawahiri and Saif al-Adil, on that elite list.

The five men are on the U.S. government's Rewards for Justice Web site, along with several others whose capture would bring lesser rewards. Most, but not all, of the others are lesser lights in al-Qaeda and other terror groups.

$25 million reward for al-Qaeda figure
Abu Musab Zarqawi, whose real name is Ahmad Fadhil al-Khalayleh, is from Jordan. This photo was distributed by the Jordanian government last December.
Zarqawi, a 37-year-old Jordanian, was added on Tuesday, said one U.S. official, who spoke to NBC on condition of anonymity. There had not been any reward on his head until that point.

The move suggested Zarqawi is now seen as one of the leading suspects in the wave of bombings in Baghdad and elsewhere in Iraq. “We really want this guy,” said the official, adding that the U.S. intelligence community is not certain where he is operating, but that he appears to move frequently between Iraq and Iran.

The size of the reward is five times that of most of those on the Rewards for Justice site, which is managed by the State Department’s Diplomatic Security Service and the FBI.

Two of those with $5 million rewards on their heads, Fazul Abdullah Mohammed and Imad Mugniyah, are both seen by U.S. intelligence as terrorist masterminds: Mohammed is believed to be the leader of the cell that carried out the East Africa embassy bombings in August, 1998, and Mugniyah the military commander of Hezbollah and responsible for planning the embassy and Marine Barracks bombings in Beirut in April and October of 1983.

Even Saddam’s two sons, Uday and Qusay Hussein, carried only $15 million rewards on their heads.

An Iraqi has been paid $30 million for information that led to the attacks that killed the two and Qusay’s son earlier this year in Mosul.

BOTH GROUPS

Zarqawi is believed to be a member of both al-Qaeda and Ansar al-Islam, U.S. officials said.

“It’s like being a member of the Rotary and the Chamber of Commerce,” said another U.S. official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity. “Being a member of one doesn’t preclude membership in the other.”

A longtime follower of bin Laden, Zarqawi was severely wounded in the U.S. attacks on Afghanistan last year and lost a leg. He reportedly received medical attention in Baghdad after escaping from Afghanistan through Iran.

In the wanted poster on the government’s Web site, Zarqawi is described as having had “a long-standing connection to senior al-Qaeda leadership and appears to be highly regarded among al-Qaida and a close associate of Osama bin Laden and Saif al-Adil,” the al-Qaida’s military commander.

CITED BY POWELL

U.S. intelligence believes the Jordanian planned and helped execute the assassination of Laurence Foley, the U.S. AID official, in Amman last October.

Prior to the Iraq war, Zarqawi gained notoriety when administration officials, including Secretary of State Powell in his U.N. speech on Feb. 5, cited his ability to get medical attention in Baghdad as evidence of a connection between Iraq and al-Qaeda.

That belief was not shared by all in the intelligence community, and congressional investigators have subsequently cast doubt on the quality of the information about Iraq gathered by the administration ahead of the war. For example, the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in the past six months has hurt the credibility of the government's case at home and abroad.

Zarqawi's network also was reported to have established a poisons and explosives training camp in Kurdish-controlled northwestern Iraq prior to the war.

He was indicted in absentia in Jordan for his role in the al-Qaeda's Millennium bombing plot targeting the Radisson SAS hotel in Amman as well as other American, Israeli and Christian religious sites in Jordan.

 
Close  
   
  Today's Top News   Top International News
   
+WHO: Bird flu death rises to 15; vaccination recommended
(2004-02-05)
+Solana: EU ready to lift China arms embargo
(2004-02-05)
+Nation tops TV, cell phone, monitor production
(2004-02-05)
+Absence ... still makes China hot
(2004-02-05)
+Hu: Developing world in key role
(2004-02-04)
+WHO: Bird flu death rises to 15; vaccination recommended
(2004-02-05)
+Solana: EU ready to lift China arms embargo
(2004-02-05)
+US court clears way for gay marriages
(2004-02-05)
+Pakistan nuke scientist asks forgiveness
(2004-02-05)
+Sharon ready for referendum on scrapping settlements
(2004-02-05)
   
  Go to Another Section  
     
 
 
     
  Article Tools  
     
 
 
     
   
        .contact us |.about us
  Copyright By chinadaily.com.cn. All rights reserved  
主站蜘蛛池模板: 欧美xxxx极品| 老司机激情影院| 在地铁车上弄到高c了| 中文在线日本免费永久18近| 麻花传剧mv在线看星空| 國产一二三内射在线看片| 一级黄色日b片| 日本免费高清一本视频| 亚洲一区无码中文字幕| 毛片在线观看网站| 免费成人在线电影| 老扒夜夜春宵粗大好爽aa毛片| 国产成人一区二区三区| 香蕉视频一区二区| 国内一级一级毛片a免费| www.fuqer.com| 成人品视频观看在线| 久久久久久久久久久久久久久久久久| 最近免费中文字幕4| 亚洲国产视频网| 污视频在线看网站| 人妻少妇被猛烈进入中文字幕 | 成年性生交大片免费看| 久久精品一区二区三区资源网| 欧洲vat一区二区三区| 亚洲成av人影片在线观看| 永久黄色免费网站| 亚洲综合色区中文字幕| 看AV免费毛片手机播放| 再深点灬用力灬太大了| 美女羞羞视频网站| 国产69久久精品成人看| 色婷婷综合久久久久中文一区二区| 国产亚洲视频网站| 青青青国产精品手机在线观看| 国产成人亚洲综合| 黑人狠狠的挺身进入| 天天躁夜夜躁狠狠躁2021a| 中文在线最新版天堂| 成在线人AV免费无码高潮喷水| 中文字幕在线永久|