Opinion>World
         
 

DPRK issue requires different approach
WU YIXUE  Updated: 2003-11-25 08:06

The Korean Peninsular Energy Development Organization (KEDO) announced on Friday that the construction of two light-water reactors in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) will be suspended for one year, starting from December 1.

"The executive board of KEDO, given that the conditions necessary for continuing the light-water reactor project have not been met by the DPRK, has decided to suspend the light-water reactor project," KEDO said in its statement.

At the critical juncture when positive signs are emerging for the settlement of the nuclear crisis on the Korean Peninsula, KEDO's suspension announcement is pouring cold water on a thawing situation.

KEDO, an international consortium consisting of the United States, the Republic of Korea (ROK), Japan and the European Union (EU), promised to help the DPRK build the two light-water reactors in the DPRK in return for Pyongyang's halt to its nuclear programme according to a DPRK-US agreement.

The accord also commits the United States to annually provide some amount of heavy-fuel oil to DPRK before the two light-water reactors are built. According to the timetable, the first one should be completed by the end of this year and the second completed by 2007.

Washington cut off its free oil shipments to Pyongyang immediately after the United States said last October the DPRK had confessed to running a secret nuclear weapons development programme, and the construction of the nuclear power project has since come to a standstill. So far, only one-third of the project has been completed.

The United States consistently asserts that it is not bound to build such a project any more, on the grounds that the DPRK did not abide by its commitment to stop its nuclear programme. But Pyongyang attributed its nuclear weapons development to the United States' hostile policy towards the DPRK and Washington's deliberate postponement of the construction of the two light-water reactors.

The United States has consistently pushed KEDO to completely stop its construction of the two reactors. But other KEDO members, especially the ROK and Japan, were concerned that the decision would provoke some extreme reactions from the DPRK.

This latest decision was the result of compromise between the United States and other KEDO members after the body held a private consultation earlier this month.

The ROK, Japan and the EU still advocate using the prospect of reviving the project to persuade the DPRK to scrap its nuclear weapons development programme. But Adam Ereli, a US State Department spokesman, said on Thursday "there's no prospect for the project."

Given the complication of the nuclear crisis on the Korean Peninsula and the lack of mutual trust between the United States and the DPRK, KEDO's decision will undoubtedly cast a shadow over international efforts to settle the long-standing and complicated nuclear standoff.

Currently, active efforts are being made for the second round of six-party talks, which are expected to be held in Beijing in December. The first round of six-party talks, which included China, the United States, the DPRK, Russia, the ROK and Japan, was held in August in Beijing without resolving the fundamental dispute between Washington and Pyongyang.

The possibility for the second round of talks has been on the increase since October, when US President George W. Bush promised a written security guarantee to the DPRK at the Asia-Pacific summit meeting and Pyongyang in turn gave up its long-held demand that a non-aggression treaty should be signed with the United States.

On the eve of the next round of talks, the assumption that KEDO's decision was a US move to press the DPRK for more concessions is not groundless.

(China Daily

)

 

     


 
  Story Tools  
   
 
         
主站蜘蛛池模板: 伊人色综合久久天天人守人婷 | ol丝袜高跟秘书在线观看视频| 日韩avapp| 亚洲国产精品一区二区久久| 男人j桶女人j免费视频| 后入内射欧美99二区视频 | 一个人看的片免费高清大全| 日本加勒比一区| 五月天婷婷亚洲| 欧美成人家庭影院| 人人妻人人玩人人澡人人爽 | 668溜溜吧成人影院| 大香伊蕉国产av| 一进一出抽搐呻吟| 无码国产福利av私拍| 久久国产精品女| 明星xxxxhdvideos| 亚洲午夜一区二区三区| 欧美疯狂性受xxxxx喷水| 人妻少妇乱子伦精品| 亚洲AV无码专区亚洲AV不卡| 久久精品国产一区二区三区| 久久精品国产精品亚洲色婷婷 | 浮力影院亚洲国产第一页| 在线观免费看高清影视剧| 一区二区三区欧美日韩国产| 成人性生交大片免费看| 久久99精品久久久久久不卡 | 91欧美在线视频| 天天操天天干天天插| 一二三四视频社区在线| 成人五级毛片免费播放| 中文字幕乱视频| 无码囯产精品一区二区免费| 久久婷婷是五月综合色狠狠 | 日本黄色一级视频| 亚欧洲精品bb| 最近免费中文字幕大全高清10| 亚洲国产精品成人精品软件| 欧美精品dorcelclub全集31| 亚洲男人天堂2017|