Home>News Center>World
         
 

US: Iraq militants dealt sharp blow
(Agencies)
Updated: 2005-07-09 12:42

U.S. and Iraqi forces have "mostly eliminated" the ability of insurgents to conduct sustained, high-intensity attacks in Baghdad, the top U.S. commander in the Iraqi capital said Friday.

Maj. Gen. William G. Webster Jr. said in a video-teleconference interview from Baghdad with reporters at the Pentagon that offensive operations by U.S. and Iraqi troops in recent weeks had sharply reduced the number of insurgent bombings. But he cautioned against concluding that the insurgency has been broken.

"It's very difficult to know it's over," Webster said.

Iraq
Iraqi hospital employees transfer the body of a dead man into the morgue of a hospital in the northern Iraqi city of Samarra. The man was killed when was caught in cross fire during clashes between US troops and insurgents.[AFP]
There were 14 to 21 car bombings per week in Baghdad before the May 22 start of the U.S. portion of the latest offensive, dubbed Operation Lightning, he said. That has dropped to about seven or eight a week now, Webster said, attributing the improvement to the disruption of insurgent cells and the availability of more and better intelligence.

"There are some more threats ahead," he said. "I do believe, however, that the ability of these insurgents to conduct sustained, high-intensity operations as they did last year, we've mostly eliminated that."

He said that about 1,700 suspected insurgents had been captured during Operation Lightning, including 51 foreigners.

Despite those gains, Webster said the future course of the insurgency was uncertain.

"When you're talking about an insurgency in a country like this where the borders are still rather porous and folks can still come in and there is money available to hire local criminals and others to participate in the fight, it is very difficult to get a day-to-day estimate of the number of people you're fighting," he said.

On the other hand, he predicted that, "in the next couple of months we will not see sustained, long bloody months in Baghdad."

The latest twist to the insurgency has been a surge in violence against foreign diplomats. Al-Qaida in Iraq claimed in a Web posting that it had killed Egypt's chief diplomat in Baghdad, Ihab al-Sherif, and warned it would go after "as many ambassadors as we can" to punish countries that support Iraq's U.S.-backed leadership.

Webster said al-Sherif's body had not been found and that his forces had no leads in the case.

"We recognize that all of our forces must be available to help protect our international diplomats who are helping to begin relations with this new democratic government," he said, adding that he was not sure that stepped-up security for foreign missions' diplomats would feature U.S. troops directly guarding the envoys. "We've not finalized our plan yet, but we certainly recognize we've got to do something very quickly."

Webster painted a remarkably positive picture of the prospects for improving security in Baghdad. By October, when Iraqis are scheduled to vote on a new constitution, there should be a full division of Iraqi army soldiers, numbering about 18,000, sufficiently trained to take the lead in securing the Iraqi capital, he said.

There are now about 15,000 Iraqi soldiers, in various stages of training, in the Baghdad area that Webster commands. Of those, about one-third are sufficiently trained to control territory in the capital city, he said.

Webster's force, led by the 3rd Infantry Division, consists of about 30,000 troops — all but 1,000 of which are Americans. The non-U.S. troops are from Macedonia, Estonia and the former Soviet republic of Georgia.



Space shuttle Discovery launch delayed
Blair plans measures to uproot extremism
Pakistan train crash carnage kills 128
 
  Today's Top News     Top World News
 

Taiwan's KMT Party to elect new leader Saturday

 

   
 

'No trouble brewing,' beer industry insists

 

   
 

Critics see security threat in Unocal bid

 

   
 

DPRK: Nuke-free peninsula our goal

 

   
 

Workplace death toll set to soar in China

 

   
 

No foreign controlling stakes in steel firms

 

   
  Judge: Saddam trial could begin next month
   
  DPRK: Nuke-free peninsula our goal
   
  Pakistan train crash carnage kills 128
   
  NASA delays shuttle launch till Saturday
   
  Annan advocates UN Council expansion now
   
  Israel seals off Gaza Strip settlements
   
 
  Go to Another Section  
 
 
  Story Tools  
   
  Related Stories  
   
Iraq to world: Keep diplomats in Baghdad
   
Kidnapped Egyptian diplomat killed in Iraq
   
Americans held as Iraq insurgent suspects
   
Qaeda says will kill Egypt's Iraq envoy
  News Talk  
  Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
Advertisement
         
主站蜘蛛池模板: 99RE66在线观看精品免费| 久久精品国产亚洲av不卡| 精品久久久久久无码人妻| 国产免费69成人精品视频| 思99热精品久久只有精品| 在线观看免费视频a| 一级毛片试看60分钟免费播放| 日本视频www色| 亚洲AV色吊丝无码| 欧美精品香蕉在线观看网| 免费jjzz在线播放国产| 美女毛片在线看| 国产乱子伦在线观看| 高清不卡毛片免费观看| 国产李美静大战黑人| 1300部小u女视频大全合集| 国语free性xxxxxhd| stoya在线观看| 性欧美大战久久久久久久久 | 成人男女网18免费视频| 亚洲欧美日韩中文字幕一区二区三区 | 一本一道中文字幕无码东京热 | 国产揄拍国内精品对白| 伊人婷婷综合缴情亚洲五月 | 免费看欧美一级特黄a大片一| 绿巨人app入口| 四虎影视在线观看2022a| 草莓视频成人app下载| 国产免费爽爽视频在线观看| 黄瓜视频在线观看网址| 国产成人精品实拍在线| 亚洲香蕉久久一区二区| 国产精品国产三级国产潘金莲| 720lu国产刺激在线观看| 国产视频999| 91天堂国产在线在线播放| 国模一区二区三区| 98精品国产综合久久| 在线观看精品视频看看播放| a毛片在线免费观看| 天天干视频网站|