Home>News Center>World
         
 

6 policemen, gov't worker killed in Iraq
(Agencies)
Updated: 2005-07-18 19:33

Insurgents killed six policemen and a government worker in six separate shootings across central Iraq, officials said Monday.


Iraqis gather at the scene of a suicide bombing in Mussayib, Iraq, about 70 kilometers (40 miles) south of Baghdad, Sunday, July 17, 2005. Late Saturday night, a suicide bomber detonated explosives strapped to his body triggering an explosion next to a mosque killing at least 60 people. [AP]
Gunmen killed four police officers, including one colonel, in three separate attacks in southern and eastern Baghdad, police and hospital officials said.

One policeman was killed in a shootout between insurgents and security forces just north of Baghdad in Taji, police said. A police colonel was killed while driving his car in Samarra, 60 miles north of the capital, according to police Capt. Laith Mohammed.

Insurgents also attacked a government employee, killing a worker for the Iraqi Trade Minister in the southern neighborhood of Dora, Dr. Muhanad Jawad of the Yarmouk hospital said.

Iraqi police found the body of an unidentified man dumped on a highway in the same area with multiple gunshot wounds, police 1st Lt. Thaer Mahmoud said.

Al-Qaida in Iraq reported that one of its "field commanders" had been killed by coalition forces in western Iraq, the terror group purportedly said in a statement posted on a Web site used by militants. The statement did not say when the man, Abi Salih al-Ansar, was killed. The posting's authenticity could not be verified.

On Sunday, four suicide car bombs killed 22 people, including an attack at the offices of Iraq's electoral commission that killed five election employees and one policeman.

The commission said in a statement that it "affirms its determination to continue the electoral process," including plans for a national referendum on a new constitution and balloting for a new government later this year.

The government also said Sunday that more than 90 people had been killed in a suicide bombing attack the night before near a Shiite mosque in Musayyib, 40 miles south of Baghdad. Hospital officials said more than 150 were injured in the blast.

Iraq's most powerful Shiite clergyman, Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, is deeply upset by the upsurge in suicide attacks, said Vice President Adil Abdul-Mahdi, a top Shiite politician, after meeting with the cleric on Sunday.

The cleric urged the government to protect the people in "this genocidal war," Abdul-Mahdi said. At least 170 people have been killed in suicide bombings throughout Iraq in the past week.

In a BBC interview scheduled for broadcast Monday, radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr said the continuing violence in Iraq was based in part on the presence of U.S. and other foreign forces.

"The occupation in itself is a problem," said al-Sadr, who led an uprising against U.S. forces last year. "Iraq not being independent is the problem. And the other problems stem from that — from sectarianism to civil war, the entire American presence causes this."

The U.S. military also reported Sunday that three of its soldiers had died in separate bombings over the weekend.

The Iraqi Special Tribunal on Sunday filed its first criminal case against Saddam Hussein for a 1982 massacre of Shiites and said a trial date would be set within days, despite U.S. fears a trial would inflame tensions at a time the Shiite-led government is trying to lure Sunnis away from the insurgency.

The tribunal said the investigation into the July 8, 1982, massacre of an estimated 150 Shiites in Dujail, 50 miles north of Baghdad, has been completed, and the case was referred to the courts for trial. Saddam is accused of involvement in the massacre as retaliation for a failed assassination attempt as he drove through the city.

The date for the trial of Saddam and three others was expected to be determined in "the coming days," said Raid Juhi, chief judge of the tribunal. If convicted, Saddam could face the death penalty.

Some U.S. officials have quietly urged the Iraqis to proceed carefully in prosecuting Saddam as the Shiite-led government seeks to draw Sunnis away from the insurgency.



Demonstrators rally to call for Arroyo's resignation
Space shuttle Discovery launch delayed
Blair plans measures to uproot extremism
 
  Today's Top News     Top World News
 

Scholars: KMT, CPC should work for peace, prosperity

 

   
 

Top LNG ship takes shape in Shanghai

 

   
 

French giant VE sees wealth from waste

 

   
 

China to ease capital controls on companies

 

   
 

Gen. MacArthur statue spawns Korea protest

 

   
 

North Korea nuclear talks to start July 26

 

   
  Hurricane Emily lashes Yucatan Peninsula
   
  Mohammed Sidique Khan: likely leader of London bomb
   
  UK said at risk for backing war on terror
   
  North Korea nuclear talks to start July 26
   
  Indonesia, Aceh rebels agree peace deal in Helsinki
   
  Worst attack in months devastates Iraqi market
   
 
  Go to Another Section  
 
 
  Story Tools  
   
  News Talk  
  Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
Advertisement
         
主站蜘蛛池模板: 99久久国产综合精品五月天喷水| 亚洲精品乱码久久久久久不卡| 黄色三级电影免费| 国产老妇一性一交一乱| 四虎精品视频在线永久免费观看| 5566中文字幕| 在线综合亚洲欧美网站天堂| 久久精品老司机| 欧美极品第一页| 国产三级在线播放| 九九影视理伦片| 国产精品爆乳奶水无码视频| a毛片在线看片免费| 性xxxxx欧美极品少妇| 久久久久亚洲Av片无码v| 激情五月亚洲色图| 午夜视频www| 色综合天天综合网看在线影院| 国产成人无码一区二区三区在线| 香蕉久久成人网| 国产色在线观看| AV无码小缝喷白浆在线观看 | 哒哒哒免费视频观看在线www| sihu免费观看在线高清| 成年人性生活视频| 久久久久成人精品无码| 日韩在线视频二区| 亚洲av日韩综合一区久热| 欧美午夜伦理片| 午夜无码A级毛片免费视频| 色播亚洲视频在线观看| 国产精品特黄毛片| 999久久久免费精品国产| 天堂资源在线中文| www视频免费| 小爱同学下载二三三乐园| 三上悠亚日韩精品| 成人a毛片视频免费看| 中国娇小与黑人巨大交| 新梅瓶1一5集在线观看| 久久99国产综合精品|